The UNU-GTP offers PhD Fellowships to former Fellows. Some outstanding UNU Fellows that have already completed their MSc have requested to come back to Iceland for a PhD degree. The doctorate programme validates this opportunity. As for the MSc programme, the PhD programme is a cooperation between the UNU-GTP and the University of Iceland. The PhD degree in Geothermal Energy is granted by the University of Iceland and Reykjavík University.
The first UNU-GTP Fellowship for a PhD degree was given in 2008. The pioneer was Gabriel Wetangula, an environmental scientist from Kenya and a UNU Fellow in 2001.
In February 2013, Pacifica F. A. Ogola from Kenya was awarded with a PhD in Environmental Science and became the first UNU-GTP doctoral graduate.
In September 2016, Thecla Munanie Mutia from Kenya was awarded with a PhD in Environmental Science.
- 2008 Gabriel Wetangula (Kenya)
- 2009 Dr Pacifica F.A. Ogola (Kenya) - Doctoral graduate in 2013
- 2012 Thecla M. Mutia (Kenya) - Doctoral graduate in 2016
- 2015 Charles Muturia Lichoro (Kenya)
- 2016 Zheng Tingting (China)
- 2017 Geoffrey Mibei (Kenya)